If you have an interview coming up then you might be feeling a little nervous. There are so many things to consider on the day of your interview.
From making sure you have all your answers and important information memorized to making sure you are wearing an appropriate outfit.
The last thing you want is to be rejected from a job because of your outfit. At the same time, you don’t want to add extra stress to your morning by contemplating what outfit you should or should not wear.
Well, you don’t have to fear anymore because we’ve done the hard work for you. In this article, we go through everything you need to know about what to wear to a teacher interview.
Table of Contents
What Should A Woman Wear To A Teacher Interview?
You might have heard of the phrase, dressing for success. Well, this is extremely important when it comes to interviews. The first thing you need to know is if your interview has stated there is a specific dress code. If so, then you must abide by the dress code.
When it comes to a teacher interview, you might be asked to demonstrate your abilities or walk around the school. So it is important that whatever you wear is comfortable.
However, this does not mean wearing your usual teaching attire. Instead, you should be a bit dressier compared to your usual teaching work clothes.
There are a few rules to follow, in order to be successfully dressed for a teacher interview.
- If you decide to wear a skirt, then it needs to be below the knee. The same rule applies for dresses. If you wear a skirt, then a blouse would pair nicely with it. Finish the look with a tailored blazer.
- You could choose to wear a dress to an interview, as long as it is not too dressy. Pair the dress with a blazer or a thin smart coat to make the dress look more formal and smart.
- A great option when you are in doubt is to wear a suit. A nice dress pant and blazer looks really professional and clean.
- In terms of shoes, wear smart shoes that are comfortable. This means avoiding any sneakers. If you choose to wear a heel, then it shouldn’t be taller than 3 inches.
- We would recommend adding a bit of color to your outfit, but nothing that is too bright or loud. If you want to add jewelry, it is better to keep it simple. Make sure that your jewelry does not cause any distractions.
- When it comes to your hair and makeup, it is better to keep it light and simple. Having lighter makeup is less distracting. Your hair should be neat.
If you are not sure about whether or not your outfit, makeup, and hair are appropriate, then ask yourself if you looked well groomed. That is the main aim of your outfit. To look smart and groomed.
What Should A Man Wear To An Interview?
The style of clothing men should wear to a teacher interview is very similar to that of women. The idea is to be dressed as comfortably as you can but still look formal. Remember that the way you dress in an interview leaves a lasting impression on the employer.
Here are some things to keep in mind when deciding what to wear.
- When deciding what to wear for a teacher interview try not to go for anything too fancy or luxurious.
- A suit is always a good option for an interview. The key is to make sure that the suit fits nicely. Also, keeping in mind that you don’t want to look too fancy, leave wearing a waistcoat.
- If you don’t want to wear a full suit, then a button down shirt and a pair of smart pants is a good idea.
- When it comes to picking what tie to wear, go for something that isn’t bold or flashy. A tie can add a bit of color to your outfit but make sure it is muted.
- Avoid wearing cologne for a teacher interview. If it is a strong scent it can be quite distracting.
- Wear a smart shoe like a loafer. You should avoid wearing sneakers at all costs.
If you’ve picked your outfit, you could also add a nice watch to make it seem more formal. The key to making a good impression with your outfit is having them fit and ironed.
If you are ever in doubt about what to wear, a good suit is always a safe option for a teacher interview.
Things To Consider
Now that you have an idea of what your outfit should look like, there are a few things that you need to consider before you make your choice.
The weather is one thing that can completely change the choice of outfit you are going to pick.
If the weather has been a bit unpredictable, it is best to wear layers. You can add a smart coat on top of your outfit ensemble to make sure you are warm.
If rain is predicted, try to carry an umbrella in your bag. The last thing you want is to meet your new employer sweating from the heat or shivering from the cold.
Don’t Be Silly
As teachers we love to connect with our students by wearing a funny top or socks. Although this might be a hit with the students, don’t wear anything comedic to an interview. Keep it formal and show your personality through your conversation instead.
Piercings And Tattoos
Check the school rules and regulations on having piercings and tattoos visible during school hours. Some schools do not allow teachers to wear piercings or have their tattoos visible.
If you are unsure about the rules at the school you are applying for, it’s best to keep them covered. So this might change the outfit you had in mind.
The main thing you want to keep in mind when deciding what outfit to wear is making sure you look smart. Don’t wear anything that will make you uncomfortable as this will affect how you are in your interview.
The best advice we can give you is to keep things smart and look tidy. Remember that you want to make a good impression, so if you are unsure you could get a second opinion from someone you know.
If you follow these guidelines you are sure to be dressed appropriately for your interview.