|$ Public Middle School: Free, $2-$500||$ $ Private Middle School: $5,000-$35,000||$ $ $ Boarding Middle School: $20,000-$80,000|
Most students apply for Middle School during fifth grade, in some cases during sixth grade, if their elementary school ends in sixth grade.
Tuition fees in public middle schools are not charged, as they draw their funds from state and federal government funds.
However, they are not completely free.
For textbooks, classroom supplies, technology, physical education, and clubs most schools apply fees in the range from $2 to $200.
The same price can be applied for participating in some sport or other activity.
Low-income families are exempted from these fees.
In Newton Public Schools in Massachusetts, for 2021/22, the student activity fee is $60, or $100 if the student also participates in drama.
For each sport, you need to pay $180.
School lunch for middle school is $3.60 and bus transportation is $350 per student with a family cap of $700.
And on the other side, for 2021/22, Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202 in Illinois applies the following middle-school fees:
- $170 for grades 6-8 and it includes a lock and a planner,
- $19 – Spanish Workbook,
- $15 – Algebra I,
- $15 – Algebra I Honors,
- $50 – Athletics,
- $75 – Band Fee,
- $25 – Chorus Fee,
- $20 – 8th Grade Promotion Fee,
- $5 – Replacement IDs,
- $5 – Replacement Planner,
- $6 – Replacement Lock,
- $1,70 – Breakfast,
- $2,75 – Lunch,
- $170 – alternative academy fee for Middle School Text Book.
Public school, The Davidson Academy, Reno, NV has just an application fee of $100.
Public school Maggie Walker Governor’s School, Richmond, VA, applies no fees.
The average tuition for middle school students in private schools is $15,180.
Tuition is between $5,000-$35,000 or more, depending on the school’s reputation, location, teachers, whether the school is religious or nonsectarian, etc.
For 2021/22, private school Cornerstone Christian Academy, Granbury, TX has annual tuition (6th-8th) of $8,980.
There are a 12-month plan for $748.33 and a 10-month plan for $898.
Before and After School Care is available for school-age children up to 12 years of age and costs $10 an hour.
The before school hours start at 6:30 am and the after school hours go until 6:00 pm.
The enrollment fee is $300 per student.
You may be interested in some discounts that are available in school:
- $75 enrollment fee, if paid by a certain date,
- $200 Full Tuition Payment, if paid by a certain date,
- $150 Multiple Child Tuition Discount (applied to 2nd, 3rd child’s tuition balance),
- $500 Referral Incentive (for each new family referred and enrolled for 6 months,
Tuition fees include:
- Technology Fee (Classroom Instruction & Equipment)
- Science Fair (6th-8th)
- Math Olympiads (6th-8th)
- Learning Assistance Program
- Campus Activities
- Athletic Event Admissions
- Cornerstone T-shirt
- School Accident Insurance
Tuition in a private school at Grace Classical Christian Academy is $7,900, while middle-school tuition at Corbett Preparatory School is $17,775.
Tuition at a private school Detroit Country Day School in Michigan is $31,645.
A school applies some additional fees of approximately $500/year for book/supplies, $200 for new students to purchase a Chromebook, and $20 for Parents’ Association Fees.
There are only a few hundred boarding schools in the United States.
The amount of $33,140 is the average annual tuition at 5-day boarding schools, and $37,590 is the average annual tuition at 7-day boarding schools.
Middle school tuition at private boarding Groton School is $59,140 (tuition and boarding) and applies a $50 application fee.
Landmark School in Beverly, Massachusetts, a school for students with language-based learning disabilities such as dyslexia and executive function disorder, applies tuition $57,800 Day, $75,900 Residential.
In addition to the standard tuition costs, let’s add the usual ones that run through most schooling:
- Before and after school programs – $100-$500 or more per month at public schools and $300-$800 or more at private schools,
- School uniform – $25-$200 per outfit for standard uniform or $100-$500 or more per outfit in case the specific uniform items,
- Lunch – $2,08 per day. Lunch can be a part of the tuition but can be also an annual charge between $500 and $1000.